I am still working on my final assignment. As of right now, it is not a finished product, but I have made several changes to the website.
First, I removed the wood panels from the sidebar and footer, and changed the website’s color scheme in the process. Silver and white not only calls to Mad Men’s Sterling-Cooper-Draper but also gives, I think, a sophisticated air to the project. Moreover, I scaled back on the orange. The orange is a softer shade, but I have limited the color to select portions of the logo and to the sidebar’s hover.
My rationale for this is two-fold. First, I limited the use of orange as a means of adding subtlety to the design. It still connects to my topic on the Orioles, but it is not as in-your-face as previous iterations of the project. Second, with the logo, I only used orange for select portions of the title. The decision had its impetus behind Mad Men, but I also wanted to convey certain psychological emotions as well. In March 2011, Jason Beaird blogged about “The Psychology of Color.” Beaird maintained that orange not only conveyed energy, but also conveyed emotions of happiness. Thus, I used orange for the words “Happy” and “Orioles.” Happy is an obvious choice, but, with the Orioles, I did it because it provided symmetry and highlighted the exhilaration the team instilled in a divided city. The rest of the title is in black, which provoked darkness, elegance, and thought. Lastly, I used drop shadows and outside glow on the logo’s text.
With the logo in mind, I removed the original color scheme and photo layout. I instead used a photo of the Baltimore skyline from the mid-1960s. Through Photoshop, I blended different portions of the picture together and used a neon glow to give the overall image a psychedelic-mid-1960s feel. In a way, the image looks like a triple-exposure, which characterized some of the films of the 1960s (i.e. Jack Nicholson-penned “Head”).
The one problem I am currently encountering is the background image I am using. I placed an image of the same Baltimore-skyline as the page’s background image. In places, I feel it works well. My concern, however, is that the image stretches based on the size of the page. If the page is too long, then the background image stretches and looks off. I am still working on looking for a way of freezing the image so it does not stretch on the long pages. Other than that, I am becoming increasingly pleased with how my page is shaping up.
Good luck on finishing your projects!